WATER AND SANITATION SECTOR POLICY POSITION ON CLIMATE CHANGE
Title: Draft Water and Sanitation Sector Policy Position on Climate Change
Government Notice: N/A
Date of commencement: Not yet specified
Potentially affected controls: General water management
This policy position echoes and reaffirms the objectives of the National Climate Change Response (NCCR) White Paper within the context of sustainable water management in South Africa, hence its primary objectives are as follows:
- To highlight and strengthen the linkages between the National Climate Change Response White Paper and water and sanitation sector responses.
- To provide a framework for the implementation of the Climate Change Response Strategy for the water and sanitation sector.
- To strengthen the development, implementation and enforcement of regulations that have implications for climate change.
- To highlight the policy principles of the water and sanitation sector with regards to climate change.
The key elements identified for effective mainstreaming of climate change adaptation and mitigation initiatives in the water and sanitation sector have been identified as follows in line with the NCCR White Paper:
- Policy and Planning Review and Regulatory Audits
- Roles and Institutional Arrangements
- Partnering with Stakeholders
- Coordination Mechanisms
- Communication and Behavior Change