AMENDMENT OF THE REGULATIONS AND NOTICES REGARDING EXTENDED PRODUCER RESPONSIBILITY, 2020
Notice Title: Amendment of the Regulations and Notices regarding Extended Producer Responsibility, 2020
Government Notice: GN 20 in GG 44078 on 15 January 2021
Commencing date: 15 January 2021
On 5 November 2020, the Minister of Forestry, Fisheries and Environment (“the Minister”) published a notice in terms of section 69(1)(b), (g), (i), (l), (o), (dd) and (ee) of the National Environmental Management Act 59 of 2008 (“NEMWA”) making the Regulations regarding Extended Producer Responsibility, 2020 (“the Regulations”).
On the same day the Minister published the following notices requiring the producers of identified products to implement specified extended responsibility measures:
- Extended producer responsibility scheme for the electrical & electronic equipment sector (GN R1185 in GG 43879 of 5 November 2020)
- Extended producer responsibility scheme for the lighting sector (GN R1186 in GG 43881 on 5 November 2020); and
- Extended producer responsibility scheme for paper packaging and some single use products (GN R1187 in GG 43882 of 5 November 2020).
(hereafter referred to as “the Notices”)
The abovementioned Regulations and Notices have been amended on 15 January 2021 in terms of sections 18(1), 18(3), 69(1)(b), (g), (i), (l), (o), (dd) and (ee) of the NEMWA. For a copy of the Government Gazette Notice click here.
How to ensure compliance at my operations?
The effective date of the Regulations and the Notices has been amended to 5 May 2021.
Existing producers and existing producer responsibility organisations have now until 5 November 2021 to register with the Department.
Producers of products listed in the Notices have until 5 November 2021 to:
- develop and submit an extended producer responsibility scheme to the Minister; or
- establish a producer responsibility organisation which must prepare and submit an extended producer responsibility scheme to the Minister.
For more information please contact Minnette le Roux at firstname.lastname@example.org