CONSULTATION ON THE DRAFT SOUTH AFRICAN ATMOSPHERIC EMISSION LICENCE AND INVENTORY PORTAL (SAAELIP) DATA MANAGEMENT POLICY, 2021
Notice Title: National Environmental Management: Air Quality Act, 39 of 2004 (“NEMAQA”): Consultation on the Draft South African Atmospheric Emission Licence and Inventory Portal (“SAAELIP”) Data Management Policy, 2021
Government Notice: GN 583 in GG 44799 on 2 July 2021
Commencing date: Comments to be submitted by 2 August 2021
The Minister of Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment published, for the purposes of the undertaking made in paragraph 18.104.22.168 of the National Framework for Air Quality Management, 2017 published under GNR 1144 of 26 October 2018, read with sections 56 and 57 of NEMAQA, the Draft South African Atmospheric Emission Licence and Inventory Portal (“SAAELIP”) Data Management Policy (“Draft Policy”) for consultation.
The purpose of the Draft Policy is to give effect to section 22.214.171.124 of the National Framework for Air Quality Management (2017) that states that the South African Atmospheric Emission Licence and Inventory Portal Data Management Policy will be developed to specify the protocols for data management and levels of accessibility for all users including stakeholders/general public.
The objectives of the Draft Policy will be to:
- Provide guidance on the collection, use and dissemination of data in the NAEIS and SNAEL;
- Provide guidance on the dissemination of data held in SAAELIP for Public Good purposes;
- Provide guidance on the dissemination/accessibility of data from SAAELIP to/by stakeholders/general public;
- Ensure that dissemination of data in SAAELIP is done lawfully in a manner that protects data holders;
- Ensure the protection and security of collected data and the SAAELIP infrastructure for future generations;
- Give guidance with regard to the specific location of the NAEIS and SNAEL according to legal mandates, objectives of SAAELIP and the desired integrity of the system; and
- Uphold the constitutional right of South Africans to information held by the state.
Members of the public are invited to submit written comments and inputs on or before 2 August 2021.
For a copy of the Government Notice click here.
For assistance or queries please contact Jan Nel at email@example.com