DRAFT AQUACULTURE DEVELOPMENT BILL 2023: FOR PUBLIC COMMENT
Notice Title: Draft Aquaculture Development Bill 2023: For public comment
Government Notice: GN 4098 in GG 49736 on 17 November 2023
Commencing date: Comments to be submitted on or before 16 January 2024
The Minister of Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment, published the Draft Aquaculture Development Bill for public comment.
The primary purposes of the draft Bill are to:
- promote responsible aquaculture development and the responsible development and management of an aquaculture sector;
- promote coordination of aquaculture research and development activities;
- ensure efficient and effective regulation of the aquaculture sector;
- promote transformation of the aquaculture sector;
- promote investment into the aquaculture sector;
- promote aquaculture as a farming activity; and
- make provision for appropriate support services.
Broadly, the Bill seeks to create a more enabling business environment for the industry in order to stimulate sector growth and development, boost investor confidence, and ultimately job creation. The Bill contains various mechanisms that will enable government to facilitate growth in the sector and regulatory efficiency, such as the creation of the Intergovernmental Authorisations Committee and provincial structures to assist the sector’s business and facilitate growth.
Members of the public are invited to submit written comments and inputs on or before 16 January 2024. For a copy of the Government Gazette Notice click here.
For more information or assistance please contact Jan Nel at firstname.lastname@example.org