NATIONAL ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT: WASTE ACT 59 OF 2008: CONSULTATION ON THE DRAFT AMENDMENTS TO THE WASTE TYRE REGULATIONS, 2017
Notice Title: National Environmental Management: Waste Act 59 of 2008 (“NEMWA”): Consultation on the Draft Amendments to the Waste Tyre Regulations, 2017
Government Notice: GN 2956 in GG 47918 on 26 January 2023
Commencing date: Comments to be submitted by 24 February 2023
The Minister of Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment (“the Minister”) in terms of sections 69(1)(b), (e), and (ee), 72 and 73 of the NEMWA, intends to amend the Waste Tyre Regulations, GNR 1064 of 29 September 2017.
Proposed amendments relate to amongst other the following:
- Addition and deletion of certain definitions
- Prohibitions specifically relating to export waste tyres and waste tyre transporters
- Registration specifically relating to micro-depot operators
- Duties of tyre dealers specifically relating to quarterly submission of certain information by all tyre producers to the Bureau.
- Submission and contents of a waste tyre stockpile abatement plan
- Storage of waste tyres specifically relating to reporting and keeping of records.
- Establishment of an Industry Advisory Committee.
- Arrangements in the event that a waste tyre management plan expires, is withdrawn, or is terminated, or is not in operation, or there is no implementer to implement a waste tyre management plan.
Members of the public are invited to submit written comments and inputs on or before 24 February 2023. For a copy of the Government Gazette Notice click here.
For more information or assistance please contact Jan Nel at email@example.com