NATIONAL FORESTS AMENDMENT ACT, 2022: FOR INFORMATION
Notice Title: National Forests Amendment Act, 1 of 2022 (“NFAA”)
Government Notice: GN 1131 in GG 46650 on 1 July 2022
Commencing date: To be determined
The President has assented to the NFAA which has been published for general information.
The NFAA will only come into operation on a date fixed by the President by proclamation in the Government Gazette.
The NFAA will amend the National Forests Act, 84 of 1998 (“NFA”) so as to:
- Provide for clear definitions of natural forests and woodlands;
- Provide for public trusteeship of the nation’s forestry resources;
- Increase the promotion and enforcement of sustainable forest management;
- Increase the measures provided for in the NFA to control and remedy deforestation;
- Provide for appeals against decisions taken under delegated powers and duties;
- Reinforce offences and penalties; and
- Provide for matters connected therewith.
For a copy of the Government Notice click here.
For assistance or queries please contact Jan Nel at firstname.lastname@example.org.