NATIONAL WATER RESOURCE INFRASTRUCTURE AGENCY BILL, 2023: NOTIFICATION TO INTRODUCE THE BILL, INTO PARLIAMENT AND PUBLICATION OF EXPLANATORY SUMMARY OF THE BILL
Notice Title: National Water Resource Infrastructure Agency Bill, 2023: Notification to introduce the Bill, into Parliament and publication of explanatory summary of the Bill
Government Notice: GN 3746 in GG 49063 on 1 August 2023
Commencing date: TBD
The Minister of Water and Sanitation, intends to introduce the National Water Resource Infrastructure Agency Bill, 2023 (“the Bill”), into Parliament. The following Explanatory Summary of the Bill is published in accordance with Rules 271 and 276(1)(b) and (c) of the Rules of the National Assembly
The Bill seeks:
- To establish a juristic person under the ownership and control of the State in order to administer, fund, finance, develop, operate, maintain, manage and provide advisory services in respect of national water resources infrastructure in an efficient and cost-effective manner to meet the social and economic developmental needs of current and future water users within the framework of national government policy and in accordance with section 27(1)(b) of the Constitution;
- To ensure the sustainable, equitable and reliable supply of water to meet nationally and regionally defined social and economic objectives of government;
- To transfer national government waterworks to the Agency;
- To alleviate the burden on the State’s resources in water resources development; and
- To provide for the disestablishment of the TCTA and the transfer of all its assets. Liabilities, rights, obligations, powers, Treaty and non-Treaty functions as a going concern into the Agency.
A copy of the Bill will be obtainable from the Department of Water and Sanitation’s website after introduction of the Bill.
For a copy of the Government Gazette Notice click here.
For more information or assistance please contact Jan Nel at email@example.com