NORMS AND STANDARDS FOR THE MARKING AND HUNTING OF RHINOCEROS
Title: Draft amendment of the norms and standards for the marking of rhinoceros and rhinoceros horn, and for the hunting of rhinoceros for trophy hunting purposes
Government Notice: GN 5 in GG 39589 of 12 January 2016
Date of commencement: Not yet specified
Potentially affected controls: Hunting of rhinoceros, dealing in rhinoceros horns and exporting of rhinoceros
The norms and standards for the marking of rhinoceros and rhinoceros horn, and for the hunting of rhinoceros for trophy hunting purposes was published in GN 304 in GG 35248 of 10 April 2012. This notice now proposes amendments to these norms and standards. The following amendments are proposed:
• Inclusion of the definitions of “applicable provincial legislation”, “Biodiversity Act”, “CAS Number”, “National database”, “SABS”, “taxidermy”, “TOPS Regulations” and “Veterinarian”.
• The amendment of the definitions of “hunting client”
• Additional specifications as to the manner of required microchipping and marking of live rhino and rhinoceros horns (regulation 2)
• Additional record-keeping duties are imposed on provincial government (regulation 2).
• Differentiation between the handling of applications received for the hunting of white and black rhino (regulation 3)
• Rhino hunts must take place in the presence of an Environmental Management Inspector from the authority who issued the hunting permit (regulation 3).
• Further specifications related to the circumstances in which rhino hunts must take place, as well as procedures to be followed prior and subsequent to the hunt are included (regulation 3).
• Additional information on the handling of an application for the exportation of rhino trophy (regulation 3)
• Additional requirements for the procedure to be followed to collect DNA samples (regualtion 4)
• An additional regulation on the disposal of rhino horns (regulation 5A)
Members of the public are invited to submit to the Minister, within 30 days after the publication of the notice in the Gazette, written representations or objections to the addresses specified in the notice.