OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH AND SAFETY ACT, 1993: COMMERCIAL DIVING REGULATIONS
Notice Title: Occupational Health and Safety Act, 85 of 1993 (“OHSA”): Commercial Diving Regulations
Government Notice: GN 2091 in GG 46380 on 20 May 2022
Commencing date: 20 May 2022
The Minister of Employment and Labour (“the Minister”) has under section 43 of the OHSA published new Commercial Diving Regulations, 2022 (“CDR”).
Changes relate to amongst other:
- Registration of commercial diving schools, commercial divers, commercial diving supervisors, diving instructors, recompression chamber operators, and commercial diving contractors with the Chief Inspector.
- Risk assessments;
- Medical Surveillance
- Plant and machinery
- Information, instruction and training
- Control of commercial diving operations
- Duties of client, employer, registered commercial diving schools, persons involved in commercial diving, commercial diving supervisors and instructors, commercial divers, line attendants, life-support technicians and life-support supervisors, and system technicians.
- Recompression chamber operations
- Records; and
The new CDR repeals the Diving Regulations, GNR 41 of 29 January 2010.
For a copy of the Government Gazette Notice click here.
How to ensure compliance at my operations?
The new CDR applies to all commercial diving operations and all persons engaged in commercial diving operations in South Africa or the territorial waters.
For assistance or queries please contact Gert van der Waal at email@example.com.