PROPOSED AMENDMENTS TO THE NATIONAL WASTE INFORMATION REGULATIONS, 2012
Title: Proposed Amendments to the National Waste Information Regulations, 2012
Government Gazette Notice: GN 701 in GG 41760 of 6 July 2018
Commencing date: Not yet specified
The Minister of Environmental Affairs has given notice of her intention to make amendments to the National Waste Information Regulations, 2012 under section 69(1)(t), (y), (aa) and (ee) read with section 73 of the National Environmental Management Waste Act 59 of 2008 on 6 July 2018.
The amendments to the regulations inter alia propose to:
• Exclude the applicability of the regulations to residue stockpiles and residue deposits;
• Restrict access to information on the South African Waste Information System (“SAWIS”) to registered persons;
• Add specific requirements that waste transporters and Industry associations must comply with;
• Amend the list of persons who must register with the SAWIS Annexure 1;
• Amend the reporting requirements in Annexure 2;
• Amend the list of General Waste Types that requires reporting to the SAWIS in Annexure 3;
• Amend the list of Hazardous Waste Types that requires reporting to the SAWIS in Annexure 4; and
• Amend Annexure 5 that relates to the Waste Management Methods i.e. the List of the R R T & D Codes for Categorization.
Members of the public are invited to submit their written representations on, or objections to, the proposed amendments to the Minister of Environmental Affairs by 3 August 2018.
For a copy of the notice go to http://sawic.environment.gov.za/documents/8905.pdf