REQUEST FOR INFORMATION ON CHEMICALS RECOMMENDED TO BE LISTED AT THE 10TH CONFERENCE OF THE PARTIES (COP 10) TO THE STOCKHOLM, AND ROTTERDAM CONVENTIONS
Notice Title: Request for Information on Chemicals Recommended to be Listed at the 10th Conference of the Parties (“COP 10”) to the Stockholm, and Rotterdam Conventions
Government Notice: GN 2073 in GG 46347 on 10 May 2022
Commencing date: Comments to be submitted by 9 June 2022
The Department of Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment (“the Department”) requests information regarding the chemicals indicated in Tables 1 and 2 of the Notice (GN2073) to be recommended for listing under the Stockholm and Rotterdam Conventions, respectively, at the COP 10.
The following information is requested by the Department:
- Whether the chemicals in Tables 1 and 2 are being used in the country, and if so, for what applications are they used?
- Whether the chemicals in Tables 1 and 2 are being manufactured and sold locally?
- Whether the chemicals in Tables 1 and 2 are being imported or exported? If so, full details of imports or exports need to be provided within the 30-day period after the publication of this gazette?
- Whether you are in possession of waste containing chemicals listed in Tables 1 and 2?
- Whether safer alternatives to the chemicals recommended for listing have been or are being piloted for use in the various applications?
- If there are any valid reasons for not supporting the listing of the recommended chemicals? If there are, supporting valid data and reasons should be provided within the 30-day period after the publication of this gazette.
- What would the possible impact be, should the chemicals recommended be listed? Such an impact, if there would be any, should be valid, and rationalised in light of using safer alternatives.
Chemicals recommended for listing under the Stockholm Convention as contained in Table 1, includes:
- Perfluorohexane sulfonic acid (PFHxS), its salts and PFHxS-related compounds
- Dechlorane Plus
- Chlorinated paraffins with carbon chain lengths in the range C14-17 and chlorination levels at or exceeding 45 per cent chlorine by weight; and
- Long-chain perfluorocarboxylic acids, their salts and related compounds
Chemicals recommended for listing under the Annex III of the Rotterdam Convention as contained in Table 2, includes:
- Chrysotile asbestos
- Fenthion (ultra-low volume (ULV) formulations at or above 640 g active ingredient/L)
- Liquid formulations (emulsifiable concentrate and soluble concentrate) containing paraquat dichloride at or above 276 g/L, corresponding to paraquat ion at or above 200 g/L; and
- Perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA), its salts and PFOA-related compounds.
The Chemical industry and interested and affected parties are invited to submit the requested information on or before 9 June 2022. For a copy of the Government Gazette Notice click here.
For assistance or queries please contact Jan Nel at email@example.com.