HAZARDOUS SUBSTANCES ACT 15 OF 1973: GROUP I, CATEGORY A, HAZARDOUS SUBSTANCES: DECLARATION
Notice Title: Hazardous Substances Act 15 of 1973 (“HSA”): Group I, Category B, Hazardous Substances: Declaration
Government Notice: GN 1926 in GG 46088 on 25 March 2022
Commencing date: Comments to be submitted by 24 June 2022
The Minister of Health (“the Minister”), intents in terms of section 2(1)(a) of the HSA to declare certain substances and mixtures containing such substances, products, or materials to be Group 1, Category A Hazardous Substances.
The substances include amongst other the following, subject to certain exclusions:
- All industrial substances listed in Annexure 3 of the Rotterdam Convention with allowed uses in the Country
- Mercury and mercury compounds for allowed uses as prescribed in the Minamata Convention;
- Any industrial substance or mixture of substances, products or materials which in the course of customary or reasonable handling or use, including ingestion, by reason of its:
– Acute toxicity oral, skin or inhalation, category 1 or 2; or
– Carcinogenicity, category 1, 1A or 1B; or
– Reproductive toxicity, category 1, 1A or 1B; or
– Germ cell mutagenicity, category 1A or 1B; or
– Specific target organ toxicity-single exposure, category 1; or
– Specific target organ toxicity-repeated exposure, category 1
Listed as harmonised in the Classification and Labelling inventory obtainable from the ECHA website, https://echa.europa.eu and classified according to the hazard classification prescribed in the latest version of the United Nations Globally Harmonised System of Classification and Labelling of Chemicals.
Members of the public are invited to submit written comments and inputs on or before 24 June 2022. For a copy of the Government Gazette Notice click here.
For assistance or queries please contact Jan Nel at firstname.lastname@example.org.