NATIONAL NUCLEAR REGULATOR ACT, 47 OF 1999: HOLDING OF PUBLIC HEARINGS RELATING TO NUCLEAR INSTALLATION SITE LICENCE
Notice Title: National Nuclear Regulator Act, 47 of 1999 (“NNRA”): Notice is hereby given in terms of section 21(4)(b) of the NNRA for holding public hearings relating to the Nuclear Installation Site Licence (“NISL”) application received from Eskom Holdings SOC Limited for the Thyspunt site located in the Eastern Cape Province
Government Notice: GN 645 in GG 44881 on 23 July 2021
Commencing date: Comments and/or registration to be done by 31 July 2021
The NISL application received by the National Nuclear Regulator (NNR) is limited to the evaluation of the suitability of the Thyspunt site for a new nuclear installation in accordance with the Regulation on Licencing of Sites for New Nuclear Power Plants issued in terms of the Act. The applicant is therefore not applying for a nuclear installation licence to construct and operate a nuclear installation.
Due to increasing concerns around the COVID-19 pandemic and in accordance with National Government regulations around this changing situation, the NNR will hold hybrid public hearings to enable in-person and virtual participation from stakeholders. The public hearings will be held over two days in different venues.
Details for the public hearings
Date: 25 August 2021
Venue: Cape St Francis Resort Conference Centre, St Francis Bay.
Time: 13:00 – 17:00
Date: 26 August 2021
Venue: Mentors Conference Venue, Jeffreys Bay.
Time: 13:00 – 17:00
To note: The virtual participation link will be sent to registered parties closer to the day of the public hearings. There will also be a live broadcast of the public hearings. The link to view the live broadcast will be available on the NNR website a day before the hearings
Availability of public information for the Thyspunt NISL
The applicant Eskom (Pty) SOC has prepared a Public Information Document (PID) to enable public to participate in the public hearing.
1.The PID may be downloaded from –
a. The NNR website –
- English: https://nnr.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/English-Nuclear-Installation-Site-Licence-Public-Information-Document.pdf
- Afrikaans: https://nnr.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/Afrikaans-Nuclear-Installation-Site-Licence-Public-Information-Document.pdf
- isiXhosa: https://nnr.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/isiXhosa-Nuclear-Installation-Site-Licence-Public-Information-Document.pdf
b. The Eskom website – https://www.eskom.co.za/Whatweredoing/ElectricityGeneration/NuclearSite License/
2. Hardcopies of the PID may be collected from the respective Kouga Public Libraries.
Who can make representations at the public hearings
Any person who may be directly affected by the granting of the NISL may make representations relating to health, safety and the environment.
How to participate in these public hearings
1. Persons wishing to make representations to the NNR may submit written comments to the NNR. Submission of written comments must reach the NNR by no later than 31 July 2021.
2. Oral presentations at the public hearing:
- Persons wishing to make oral presentations at the public hearing are required to register with the NNR as an intervener and provide details of the oral submission to be made.
- Oral presentations are limited to a maximum of 10 minutes per presentation.
- Application to register as an intervener must be done using the online Public Hearings Registration Form which can be found on the NNR website
- The web link to register for the public hearings is: https://nnr.co.za/?p=3398
- Closing date for registration as an intervener is 31 July 2021.
For a copy of the Government Notice click here
For assistance or queries please contact Jan Nel at firstname.lastname@example.org